Tuesday, July 21, 2009

pizza on the grill


Pizza= awesome! Grilling= awesome! Grilled pizza= crazy? We had a lot of great vegetables for grilling this week, but as always at least once a week we crave pizza. So we figured, why not put pizza on the grill? I've seen Bobby Flay do it once very naanchalantly with regular dough, but that seems a little too crazy on a charcoal grill. It would be naansense to use pitas or flatbreads because they would probably burn. We needed a bread that could take high heat and be naanscorchable. But we were stumped. Then it hit me- NAAN! Luckily my work (Whole Foods) sells a great pre-made naan that even comes in whole wheat! SCORE!


Ingredients:

1 package 365 whole wheat naan, if you can make your own- do it, and then teach me!
4 oz fresh goat cheese
1 large roasted red pepper, canned is AOK, plus you will need a little of that liquid (3 Tbsp)
summer squash, or really any summer vegetables, grilled and cut into small pieces

In a food processor combing goat cheese and red pepper and puree until smooth, adding pepper jar liquid or a little water until it reaches the consistency of yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.

Let's talk about grilling. We have a small Weber charcoal grill, and when I grill I really like to make sure that I have all of the coals on one side of the grill so that I have a hot side, and a not as hot side. It also has a kind of convection oven effect when you put the lid on the grill. I find having two temperatures really helps me to make sure everything gets properly cooked without getting burned. Anyhoo- back to grilling pizza.

This recipe is good for grilling because you can bring everything with you. I took the sauce, the naan, the veggies, a spoon, a knife, and a cutting board out to the picnic table. I grilled the veggies on the hot side of the grill. While they were cooking I spooned the sauce over the naan to get them ready. Then I removed the veggies, chopped them up, topped the naan and put them on the colder side of the grill. Then I covered the grill and cooked them for 5-6 minutes. They were crispy on the bottom without being burned, and tasted amazing! We will definitely be doing more of these in the coming months, so watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment