Saturday, October 31, 2009

potato medley!

If you have known me for a grip, you know that there are two things I (and most of the Hub/Cone) were addicted to from Trader Joe's. I work at Whole Foods, and so do most of my friends. We shop there, and budget it well. (Don't even start the Whole Paycheck ish, you get what you pay for, or you aren't doing it right.) BUT, there were two amazing items that lead me back to TJ's again and again, and both have been discontinued within the last year or so. The first, which we will address here, is potato medley, the second (which would take a miracle to produce) were the veggie gyoza. There were many nights when our sustenance depended on these items, late nights, early mornings, bonding moments sharing recipes. In truth, some of the best times of my life.

So fuck you TJ's for letting these items go by the wayside; but I understand. If something is too popular with your customers, the factory HAS to produce it instead of giving you leftovers, and that makes the price go up for you, lessening your profit. Just raise the price and bring them back, I will buy cases, seriously. CASES!


Ingredients:
1 lb red potatoes, cut in 1/4" slices
1 onion, 1/4" slices
2 carrots. Julienned
3 peppers, Julienned
1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
olive oil, for cooking

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Get a pot of salted water on the stove to boil. Slice potatoes and onions. Spray 2 baking sheets with oil and layer the potatoes and onions on them, seasoning with salt and pepper, and adding a layer of sprayed oil on the top. Place in oven for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool to room temperature.

Blanch all other veggies. Carrots 4 mins. Peppers 3 mins. Broccoli 1/2 a minute. And let them cool with the potato/onion mixture. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Let cool, and store in the fridge. This should last 6-7 days, if you can wait that long. I have already eaten twice with this as an ingredient, and I am not near done!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe they just don't have them at the TJs you visit in the city? Because I am presently on the verge of ripping into a bag of potato medley RIGHT NOW in my "workplace" kitchen in the East Bay, whose TJs also still carries the most delicious vegetable gyoza.

    I swear I would die if sentenced to a life without those gyoza; I just figured out how to cook them properly two weeks ago. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MEAVE: I will seriously pay you a ton of money to mail me some potato medley. A TON.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's reassuring to see that other people are mourning this loss, too... I can't believe that TJ would do that to us.

    I could take the Lindt bars, I could take the Cocoa Almonds, but I won't take the Potato Medley.

    I just tried emailing them - if you want to try that, too, maybe it would support the case a little more. Thanks for sharing the recipe, by the way, I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete