Wednesday, December 2, 2009

green mash

As a kid I hated greens. OK, to tell the truth, I had no idea what they were. I only experienced the joy of fresh produce when I was 18 and went vegan. Before that it was all boiled frozen veggies, or canned varieties. I didn't even try to eat leafies until I was at least 22. But now I can't get enough of them, and wish someone would incorporate them into dishes I already love. Oh wait! We are just about to do that!

Ingredients:
2 leeks, thinly sliced
5 lbs potatoes, 1" chunks
1 bunch chard, stems removed and leaves roughly ripped
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves roughly ripped
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until fork tender. Caramelize leeks in a separate pan with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Blanch chard and kale in boiling water for one minute. Mash everything together. Eat mashed potatoes every day for 10 days straight and then never want to eat them again! Weeeee! Top with your favorite gravy, and get down!

No comments:

Post a Comment