Monday, October 20, 2008

fruit compote


We had just finished eating the potato gratin, and I (Kenny) got a severe sweet tooth craving. Sure, I could have gone to the corner store and bought candy, cookies, or an It's It, but that's just silly. We had some amazing pears and apples sitting right in front of my face, so I decided it was time to make some easy, but still decadent.

Ingredients:
3 small ripe gala apples, cut into 1/2 dice
2 ripe bartlett pears, cut into 1/2 dice
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and buttered the inside of a pyrex loaf pan. Toss in all of the fruit and nuts, add the spices and mix. Top with sugar and dot the mixture with the remaining butter and bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Eat it as is, or top with ice cream. We even threw some crumbled pretzel pieces on top to add a little salt and crunch since my Grandmother sent a Lancaster County care package complete with Hammond's Pretzels (my favorite) this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment