Tuesday, April 14, 2009

chard and artichoke dip


These artichokes we have been getting are just so gorgeous, I had to photograph them!

Tonight we prepped the artichokes simply by chopping the first inch off the top and clipping away the sharp outer leaves. We then steamed them for 25 minutes using our steamer basket in a large pot with one inch of boiling water.

We attempted to make an aioli to dip the leaves but it was a complete failure. There are certain things you just can't take shortcuts with, and we learned the hard way that you can't make an aioli using the bowl attachment on your immersion blender! We snacked on the leaves and saved the hearts to make chard and artichoke dip!

mmm fattening...


Ingredients:
10 artichoke hearts (We only had 5 from the box, so we supplemented with some canned hearts.)
1/2 bunch chard
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Veganaise
3 Tbsp grated parmesan
1 cup shredded mozzarella
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs (optional)

Combine all ingredients except breadcrumbs and veganaise in your food processor and pulse until well incorporated. I like some chunks of artichoke heart so I left some in. At this point, depending on how juicy your chokes were (canned ones have a lot more liquid) your dip might be ready. If its not quite the right, add the Veganaise 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the perfect dip consistency is ALMOST reached (remember, this is going to get hot, and the cheese will melt and help to goo-ify it). Season it with salt and pepper, and put it in an oven safe dish.

Now, I (Kenny) like breadcrumbs on top of baked things. I'm a crunch-oholic: if something is crunchy, I probably love it. So I put some bread crumbs on top to give it a little extra texture. Think its dip-blasphemy? Don't do it, and feel free to make fun of my condition!

Anyway, put this in a preheated 350 degree oven uncovered for 15 looooooong anticipation filled minutes, and when the timer goes off- chow down with some chips or pretzels. Make it for a party, or just for yourself while watching Lost. Speaking of which, OMG! I'm not sure if I can take the suspense anymore! I won't talk about in case anyone is behind, but gah!

1 comment:

  1. OMG - I'm kicking myself now for using up this weeks chard in another batch of pesto - that dip looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete