Thursday, April 16, 2009

crepes with chard, caramelized onion and shallot


You can make your own crepes, but we didn't for this recipe. We bought them pre-made. LeSter is the brand we used. They are even cut in half to make life easier.

Ingredients:
2 bunches chard, thinly chopped
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 onion, 1/4" slice
1 Tbsp Earth Balance, or butter
4 crepes
1 1/2 cups shredded Coolea Irish Gouda (Another Hazel Rue home run!)
salt, pepper to taste

In a saute pan on medium low heat, melt the Earth Balance. Add the shallot and onion and allow to slowly caramelize stirring often, total time is about 12 minutes. This would also be a good time to preheat your oven to 350 degrees. When the shallot and onion are caramelized, add in the chard and fully cook, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn. Season with salt and pepper. When they are finished add the mixture to a 1/2 crepe on a lined cookie sheet. Top with cheese and another 1/2 crepe and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, flipping half way through so the bottom doesn't get soggy.


This recipe was enough to make two HUGE crepes, and man were they awesome. We have left over crepes, which we put in the freezer for later use. I have a feeling we will be doing something along these lines again soon. These were so tasty. Actually I am eating the leftovers as I'm typing, once I started thinking about them, I just had to eat it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this recipe. I recently cooked crepes for a crepe dinner, and I was looking for a somewhat lighter, less rich, green veggie crepe to go with the heavier varieties I was making. This recipe turned out to be everyone's favorite! It was absolutely delicious, and I intend on making it again and again.

    ReplyDelete