Sunday, December 28, 2008

mushrooms in sour cream sauce

Every year my family eats Thanksgiving diner at my Aunt Ginger's house. All year long, I always look forward to my favorite part of the meal- my Aunt's mushrooms. Since I moved to the west coast I haven't been able to make it back for Thanksgiving. My Aunt's recipe is (according to her) very simple- mushrooms, garlic, sherry & sour cream. But it's one of those special recipes that just doesn't taste the same when it's made by someone else. So rather than try to recreate her recipe, I decided to come up with my own.


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp butter
2 leeks, white & lightest green parts only, sliced lengthwise then chopped into 1/4" slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb white button mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup water
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sage
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and simmer until they are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and water, bring to a boil, then turn the heat back to medium low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the sour cream and seasoning and cook for an additional 5 minutes. The sauce should be hot, but do not allow to boil. Let stand a few minutes before serving, sauce will thicken slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment